Sunday 21 June 2009

W.O.W





On Thursday Carl and I decided that we would rent some kayaks and go for a paddle at a place that is about a 10 minute drive from where the boat is parked.
I called at lunch time to book two boats and was told to arrive as early as possible as it was going to be very busy that evening. Without asking too many questions Carl and I left work as quickly as we could and by 545 we were picking up our paddles and getting ready to go onto the water. As we were adjusting our gear, one of the young centre employees came over, looked at us confused and said, "You guys are obviously not with W.O.W are you?" We were now as puzzled as he was, so at least we were even.
He continued to explain, that Thursdays is Women on the Water day 'W.O.W' and that there was about 100 ladies due to arrive at any moment for said activities. Carl and I looked at each other, thought how horrible it would be to be in the middle of 100 female, Canadian out door types and continued to prepare for our paddle. We were ready to go but suddenly Carl was having all sorts of trouble with his foot rests and then his seat and had to pop to change his buoyancy aid and then again to use the toilet. Luckily we managed to get away before the tide of girl power arrived. We paddled for 2 hours stopping on a quiet island to enjoy a cold beer that we had brought along. It was a fun evening. Carl wants to go back next Thursday but says that he has a meeting that might delay his departure from work.

2 comments:

  1. Wow indeed... and I just mean the scenery in shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... and by the way, belated happy birthday from both of us mate! Kim did remind me on the day and I was going to text you... and when I forgot to do that I tried to leave a voice mail while I was running, but my phone is playing up and I've lost your mobile number! Suffice to say that you were in our thoughts!

    ReplyDelete