Wednesday 7 July 2010

Part 3 Adrift



It was sunrise on the 27th June I was on the bridge, looking through the binoculars towards a couple of small islands, wondering how it was possible for places to get more and more beautiful as we travel around. The crimson sky was mirrored in the perfect calm of the sea. If our contacts friends, contact was to be believed we were in for a spectacular day!

Some times I wonder what is in my head. Why did I suddenly think that a local guy would be able to show me on a chart where we needed to go. The chap had never seen a chart in his life. As he stood shivering in our air-conditioned bridge, grinning at me and pointing to a place with his finger, I took out my dividers and measured the distance happily proclaiming that it was 10 miles. More grinning!

The tender was launched and loaded with gear and the first lucky crew members, including myself, set off for the mornings adventure. We were hoping to see a pod of whale sharks. We head off in the direction of our guides waving hand, a nod and a giant grin confirmed to our driver that he was on the right course.

An hour later we had to change over fuel tanks! One half of our fuel had been consumed. The boat was slightly overloaded but even so, we had been traveling at, at least 15-20 miles an hour. If Oakmeads School, mathematics department had not failed me, one hour at 15-20 miles per hour, should mean that we have gone past our estimated 10 mile destination! With my best puzzled look and with a combination of sign language I asked how far to go. Waving my arms towards the front. Yes, he nodded, grinning! I was less than confident and we were now a very long way from the mother ship.



Lucky for us, the satellite phone that we take on such excursions was fully charged. It appeared as though we had exhausted our VHF radio range. It was time to call Thunderbird one to the scene. The phone connected with a beep and there was a confusing delay in the communication but I eventually explained our GPS position and heading and that the big boat should pick up the anchor and come to find us. It was not long after this call that the blurt blurt and sudden change of engine noise indicated that we had in fact, exhausted all fuel supplies and were now seven people adrift in a rubber boat, in one of the most remote areas that I have ever been. Was it was time to make friends with the vegetarians!?




Two long hours later our rescuers came over the horizon and within 3 hours, we were alongside topping up the tender with fuel and re examining the chart. We had traveled 35 miles!

My whale shark adventure was now off and I was feeling a bit disappointed, not to mention, sun burnt but a safe anchorage for the big boat needed to be found. A small team left again in the tender. With its lighter load and fewer crew, the boat took off at its normal 30 knots speed. It took me two and a half more hours to find a good anchorage and just as we had settled and I was drinking a cup of tea, the tender returned with some very excited crew, who had obviously found the whale sharks and had enjoyed and extended swim in their company. Still not completely happy with the anchorage, I was not able to leave in the second boat for the excursion and watched as the excited crew members sped away.

I had been up since 4 am and it was starting to feel like a long day. It was late in the afternoon when I finally boarded the tender for the 15 minute run to where the sharks were. I had been persuaded that I should try and get a swim before the days light went away.

I slipped into the water and was instantly lost for words and totally amazed. In the excitement of the day I had not really taken time to know what a whale shark was or what it might be like to swim with one. There were two there and for about 5 minutes I swam about watching them. Just Iike all good things it is better if you have to work hard for the pleasure. It wasn’t long before the two whales swam away and we returned to the boat.

As we approached, the ships horn sounded and there were some balloons tied up on the bow. It was a small birthday party and we drank some cocktails on the bow as the sun finally dipped below the horizon at the end of another fantastic day.

No comments:

Post a Comment