Sunday 14 April 2013

Leaving for work



When I started writing here I made a conscious decision not to write about my emotions or in detail about my family. There are plenty of fathers blogging about their kids and it is amazing to see our little guy grow, so it does seem a shame sometimes not to share some of the incredible humour that he comes out with but that is another story for a more private place.

Work is enjoyable and challenging and so I like the job and the adventure of it. Lately it has been getting harder and harder to leave my family, to fly across the planet and join the boat. This time my heart was smashed into little pieces. Smiling faces on Skype reassure me though and I get to say hi most days and as work is busy, my mind is occupied and so the time when I get to go back to see them again will come round fast.

On an early morning run along the waterfront I ran round the park and remembered this huge sculpture of a sailor kissing his girlfriend. Claire and I stood under it for a photo a few years back. The statue was a happy reminder of that weekend, I had a pang of sadness for all of the goodbyes we have had since. On the flip side of course, the sculpture is actually a  reunion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment