Thursday 7 May 2009

and they're off!!

Tomorrow we set sail from the Galapagos. We spent just under two weeks in these most extraordinary islands. We have been incredibly fortunate and seen so much more than we had expected to. A friend of mine who has been here before said to me, " whatever you do, make sure you stick your head under the water" I am pleased that I took that advise because for me, the experience here will be marked most memorably by the sights that I saw while diving or snorkeling.

I managed four dives and three snorkeling trips each one was so incredible that I could bore you for hours with the things I saw. One of my favorite moments was with a flightless cormorant. Just to see one of these crazy birds is a thing in it self! They only live on two of the Galapagos islands and no where else in the world! I was swimming and diving down with one as it was chasing the fish. Then again perhaps it was the playful sea lions that looped and swooped around us as we swam along in their neighbourhood or it might have been the school of white tipped sharks or the community of turtles or the school of barracuda or fleet of rays that swept elegantly past on one dive.

These last couple of days we have been putting everything away and battening down again for sea. We have another long 10 day Pacific leg of over 2500 miles to California.

No comments:

Post a Comment