Saturday 16 January 2010

Over zealous Hawaii 50

This week has been a busy work week and I have pretty much been either working, running or sleeping. Apart from Thursday evening, when I went with some of the crew to Waikiki for refreshments and to enjoy the atmosphere. We managed to enjoy the atmosphere till quite late and we were in a bar called the Shack or the Hut or something. It was not really my scene as I am not 20 years old and was not wearing my spangly boob tube, so I felt a little out of place. The live music was good though and our group was in good spirits so I stayed but my stamina for such an evening was waning. It was time for me to leave. I wanted to tell someone I was going to duck out quietly. Actually they had all had enough and soon the momentum gathered and we all left the bar together.

We came straight out of the bar into a lively street. It was about 0130 but there was still lots of bustle. I had seen a cab, checked the street and ran over road to the taxi. He had seen me wave and was pulling in on the other side. What I had failed to see were the three cop cars that were parked out side the bar! As I arrived on the far side of the street I was surprised that the group of what was obviously hookers, were all waving their arms and shaking their heads at me. I thought, oh it's just hookers waving their arms and shaking their heads at me again' and ignored them. However it inspired me to look over my shoulder. What I saw was 4 female cops also running across the road and I wondered what the hell was going on. I said to Nursie who had run across with me, "Quick get in the cab lets get out of here." The Cab driver said, "no way man! You guys are being chased by the cops" and sped off at high speed without us.

It was at this point that we realised that WE were the ones being pursued by the Hawaii 5O female division! Our crime...We had Jay walked! But so had they hadn't they? I didn't see them walk 100 meters down to the cross walk and wait an hour for the light to change. Anyway these fearsome women (with guns) 4 of them plus a rather skinny Asian guy cop who was less intimidating, were less than impressed with our 'lack of respect towards the laws of the United States and its enforcing officers' and that we were trying to run away from the scene in a taxi. We were actually just tired and thought the cops were running across the street to bust some hookers for drug dealing or something that required five armed police officers. Not, as it was, to hassle poor unsuspecting tourists. After a lot of tongue biting on my part and some sweet apologising by our Australian nurse we got away with it.. Just like all the hookers and probable drug dealers that were right there! However the hookers seemed genuinely concerned and were obviously trying to stop us from getting in trouble in the first place. Also I think that their presence at the scene helped to make the story better, more surreal anyway.

The rest of the crew were standing at a safe, we have nothing to do with them, kind of distance and soon showed up with their best laughing and pointing. It was clearly time to go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment