Saturday 2 January 2010

International Carrot Festival helps to kick start training




Now that we are back in Oahu it is once again time to put on the shoes and keep up the training for the running extravaganzas that are planned for this spring.
It gets pretty hot here so the best time to start running about is early morning.
This morning I pulled myself from my scratcher and managed to motivate myself out of the crew door, eyes still sleepy and the darkness still shrouding the harbour. Exiting the air conditioned atmosphere of home into the warm fresh air of the early morning actually woke me up a little and I was pleased as I started running across the harbour and through the security gate. Running down the street towards the Aloha Tower I started to plan in my head how far and how long I would be out. A nice easy run to the beach and back just to stretch out from a long run I had done on 31st. Once at Al Amoana beach it was already busy. I would say it is the new year resolutioners but it is always like this here and looking at the perfectly formed bodies about the place they don't look like they are just starting out on new years health kick. The atmosphere at the beach is beautiful at this time of day, paddle boarders and swimmers are making the most of the warm, calm water inside the reef. There are lots of runners too. It is a bit like running through the pages of a Sports Illustrated magazine. There are more high quality carrots here than you can shake a stick at and for some reason before I had realised it, I was all the way to Waikiki. I stopped for a minute and watched the sun rise up over Diamond Head, glancing down at my fancy watch I had already come six miles. I patted the left pocket of my shorts checking for a $20 bill that I keep there as a bail out clause, for a cab incase I twist my anckle or just get lazy. Then, what appeared to be the Hawaiian all female National netball team ran past me and I found some energy to trott along behind them. I was happily distracted and I made it all the way back to the boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment