Wednesday 28 September 2011

A Day out with my Brother

My Brother is a very enthusiastic supporter of the Brighton & Hove Albion football team, is a season ticket holder and presenter of a radio show dedicated purely to the team and its trials and tribulations.
This season sees the Seagulls moving into a brand new stadium and also up into the English Championship League, which is basically all very good news if you are a Brighton football fan or if you are my brother. I was thrilled that I was invited to join my brother and the crowd at the American Express Community stadium to watch Brighton play Peterborough (the Posh). This was to be my first attendance at a live football match in the UK.
The day started at the radio station, where I sat in the back, quiet as a mouse while the boys discussed at great length the chances of one or other team beating the other and some other things. The show is all very professional and has an ever increasing following but this is the realm of Brighton and Hove Albion anoraks.
We left the studio and jumped on a nearby bus which slowly delivered us to the stadium with enough time before the game to drink half a gallon of local ale. Some hours later we were finding our seats in the Upper West Stand. I know that it was the west stand because every now and again the fans in the North stand got a bit lost. When they remembered where they were, they started telling everyone very loudly, chanting that they were indeed in the North Stand. In response to this the nice people of the West stand are reminded where they are and shout loudly back! This is very convenient and reminds me of my Tom Tom.
The West stand Brighton boys including myself were very pleased with ourselves because a) we were full of beer, b) my brothers seat is very close to the loo and c)Brighton beat the visitors 2 – 1. So pleased were we in fact, that we went off to that North stand to find more beer after the match. We only left the bar there because a friend of my brothers was playing a gig and we were on the VIP list! ‘The wedding Present’, a band formed with quite a bit of success, decades ago has a reasonably new young bass player. This Bass player is the wife of my brothers mate, which is how we were on the VIP list. The band was good and we drank yet more beer. We only left the gig because my brother was on an early morning flight to Greece and it was already close to early morning. It was a great day out with my younger brother and I even enjoyed the game of football, but don’t tell anyone.



No comments:

Post a Comment