Wednesday 15 April 2009

Wednesday 15th April

The day started with another perfect sun rise. Beautiful clear tropical skies and an endless blue horizon.
The calculations suggest that we will make land fall on the 26th or 27th of April a further 11 or 12 days!!

“The scurvy on board is rife, the biscuits are full of weevils. A sailor from the fo’csle was given 12 lashes today for taking more than his share of the rum and the fresh water is so putrid that it is only drinkable when mixed with a fair quantity of grog.”

I have been enjoying reading the accounts of Captain, James Cook and his voyages in this part of the world and although I am tempted to moan of the monotony I realise that we have it good.

After my watch I did my rounds, checked my e-mails, ran up the engines on the rescue boat and the jet skis, also checking the lashings on the helicopter. Hawaiian pizza with salad was served for lunch and fresh fruit with banana bread was served with morning tea, or should I say espresso coffee. I am off now to get a short afternoon nap before my evening watch, perhaps read a few more of Captain Cook's tales of daring do and on my way have another slice of our cooks banana bread.

Those blokes in the 1700’s were a hardy bunch! Far more hardy than me, it is fair to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment