Friday 31 July 2009

Deer Mountain by accident

Deer Mountain is a peak that stands overlooking Ketchikan at 3001 feet or 914 meters.
I saw from the guide book that there is a trail leading to the summit and so while I was on an after work run, I decided to go and see where the trail began, fully intending to return on the weekend if there was time. A couple of hours later I found myself sat at the top of Deer Mountain surveying the wonderful view with wide eyes.

After I had sat for a while and looked about me, the crisp blue sky and incredible scenery had absorbed my mind, until that is, I noticed how low the sun was getting! Then I started to think about bears and wolves, getting back before dark and what the hell I would do if I twisted and ankle or something on the way down…This really is not the best place to be on your own, in your running gear when no one knows where you are. I blame the Canadians. I would never have gone up a mountain that is nearly as high as mount Snowdon this unprepared before! (Snowdon is 1085 meters, but you don’t climb it from sea level!). I didn’t even bring a friend who is slower at running than me.

If it is nice, I might go up again on the weekend but this time I will take my walking boots and a backpack with water, a camera and a phone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment