Tuesday 7 July 2009

Re ground the grind like a little old lady!

After work on a very rainy Tuesday Christian and I were surprised that the car park at the foot of the Grouse Grind was just as full as it was on a sunny Sunday! Boy these Canadians are a keen bunch but I guess we were there too.
My new time up the steep 2.9 KM path is 56 mins and 3 seconds. I felt that I was really pushing it and have to admit that a mere 3 minute gain was a bit disappointing. Christian pointed out that in fact it was a 5% improvement and he was impressed that I had manage to get there 7 minutes ahead of him. We both sat at the top, soaked through and a bit cold but feeling pretty pleased with ourselves! Until that is, we had been studying the monitor displaying peoples efforts during that day and for the year. It appears that the fastest time for ladies between the age of 70 and 79 is a staggering 63 minutes! It is almost impossible to imagine a little old lady at nearly 80 years old! storming up the side of this mountain in just over an hour but it is also beautiful and very amusing that this is the exact same time that it took my now very demoralised colleague, who is a man in his early 30's.!
As they say here in the Rockies. If you come across a bear in the wild do not run! Unless of course you can run faster than at least one of your friends. I have finally found a friend that I can beat at running and as we are in the Rockies that is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment