Thursday 21 February 2013

Another Run


Another motivation for exercise or to get out running is to meet a friend. Today I made a firm arrangement to meet my friend David. We meet at 'Jack and Jill' which is another local beauty spot in the South Downs National Park. We meet here because it is conveniently, equidistant between where we live and we both enjoy the route we do there. We named it, David and Daren's down hill delight
and it is a great route that despite it's name, ascends over a 1000 feet in its 6 mile length.

This morning I pulled into the deserted car park at a few minutes before 0830, just ahead of David. I decided to get out of my car to put on my running shoes which were in the boot. I got the shoes and very quickly decided against being out in the freezing cold wind and got directly back into the driving seat of my car, reaching to turn up the dial on the cars heater. A level of comfort and warmth was re established just as David reversed his car into the space next to mine. Our electric windows descended in unison and a happy greeting was made.
 "David, I don't normally do this mate, but would you like to go and get a cup of tea instead?" I said, asking hopefully.
 "Err Yeah" 
"Oh. I wasn't really expecting you to say that?"
His deviation from his ever enthusiastic and positive outlook took me by surprise. That was easy, I thought. But then unfortunately his strength returned.
" We have made the effort to be here, we should go and run"
"It's really cold, tea sounds nice" I said again hopefully, fishing for the chink in his positivity.

However. Soon shoes were being laced and shoulders being squared against the bracing easterly wind as we began a slow start to our loop. For some reason, today's run was made better by the extra effort it took to get going and I thoroughly enjoyed the run and the company. I wonder if I would have been more persuasive over the tea if I had not made it out on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment